Today’s guest blog is from Style Scout, aka Alisa Neely, a fashion stylist and personal shopper voted Best of Boston by Boston Magazine. After working in just about every area of fashion, from retail sales to design to writer and stylist, Scout loves to share the best finds and her favorite things. She knows home is where the heart is and sent us her tips for clean living in a natural home.
A house is your sanctuary, a place to relax and regroup. For me that means having a beautiful, natural space where I can relax both body and mind and prepare to take on my next challenge; whether that’s going to be new client or my teenage kids.
Here are 5 of my best tips for creating a peaceful, natural home.
- Paint it: White walls help a space have a calm flow, feel more spacious and highlight art and textiles. (after painting place a Fresh Wave Odor Removing Gel in the room to get rid of that lingering paint smell)
- Purge it: The closet isn’t the only place I insist on purging. A cluttered house equals a cluttered mind. Clearing out the home of all the unnecessary stuff that can accumulate there really helps me to keep me organized and achieve a calm mental space.
- Clean It: I love the smell of a freshly scrubbed house when I know natural products have been used. I’m all about keeping the toxins out of my life. As a parent and a pet owner I just don’t want to worry that the products in my home are causing damage to our health. One less thing to worry about when you have teenagers is always a big plus. (even though their rooms are clean I drop Fresh Wave Packs into their shoes, boots and gym bags to keep odors at bay)
- Plant It: I’m currently joining the rest of the design world and falling in love with succulents. Adding houseplants will naturally help clean the air in your home, makes breathing easier, and is even said to help boost productivity. Side bonus is that they look great.
- Light it up: Nothing sets the mood like candles and soy candles are the only ones I’ll light. They last longer, burn cleaner and are less like to trigger allergies. It’s an all around win.